Garage door hindged above or side

Russel

Bronze Member
Bronze
May 25, 2020
Scotland
Hi all.
I have noticed most trucks have their garage doors top hindged and not side hindged.
Top hindged will allow some rain protection when open but then needs the addition of stays to keep
them open.
I have seen a few with side hindged doors. This means no gas struts plus you can fit a few attachments to the
inside of the door for say saw, axe etc.
My question is why are far more top hindged?
Is it purely to do with hanging strength or is there another reason?
Thanx

Sitec

Platinum Member
Gold
Apr 13, 2020
Barossa South Australia
Hi Russel. From our point of view, we like the doors up out of the way. They afford us good shade as they're almost level with our awnings when up. They also deflect rain on the rare occasion we are out in the rain. They are also a lot less likely to be caught by the wind. I think legalities decree that any opening side door has to have the hinges towards the front of the vehicle if being hinged on the side (in case it comes open when traveling). With this in mind, a large rear locker door opening sideways would then have that door swung in the usable outside living area, which would form an unwanted division.

Reactions: Russel

Sparky

Known Member
Known
Apr 7, 2020
Hi Russel, in my opinion the hinge at the top works very well for the above reasons. You can still mount your axe etc, just use stronger struts. They are not expensive.

davelondon

Known Member
Known
Feb 12, 2021
> I think legalities decree that any opening side door has to have the hinges towards the front of the vehicle if being hinged on the side

Which legalities are these? I’m planning my main door the other way around. My truck will be registered in the UK

Manvoyage

Sep 2, 2021
My last truck had top hinged with gas struts, my current truck is side hinged with no gas struts but a locking latch, I much preferred the top hinge as they held their self and wind wasn't an issue with them

Russel

Bronze Member
Bronze
May 25, 2020
Scotland
Rear hindged doors or what are known as suicide doors are not permitted on mas produced vehicles.
My understanding is that individually built vehicles do not fall under this ( UK)
These are also locker doors not passenger doors.
I desighned my doors to be up and over but was wondering before I fit them.
Thanx to the responses.

Sitec

Platinum Member
Gold
Apr 13, 2020
Barossa South Australia
> I think legalities decree that any opening side door has to have the hinges towards the front of the vehicle if being hinged on the side

Which legalities are these? I’m planning my main door the other way around. My truck will be registered in the UK
So, my belief is that all front doors must be hinged at the front for EU regulations, and any rear door can be a 'suicide' door but it must automatically lock once the vehicle starts, and can only unlock once the vehicle is stationary and off. I personally wouldn't want a door with the hinges on the rear edge as I'd always be worried its going to pop open and embed itself into the side of the truck. Modern anti burst door latches are pretty good and unlikely to let go, but I certainly have little faith in the Southco copies that UES now sell, and am glad all my doors are hinged towards the front of the vehicle.

I have to ask, why do you need the hinges at the rear edge?